A REVIEW ON SUSTAIN RELEASE AND CONTROL RELEASE DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMHTML Full Text
A REVIEW ON SUSTAIN RELEASE AND CONTROL RELEASE DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
NRI Vidyadayani Institute of Science, Management and Technology, Bhopal - 462 026, Madhya Pradesh, India.
ABSTRACT: For each infection or confusion condition of the patient, legitimate solution is of prime significance to keep up the patient healthy. To accomplish this, the solution or medication is regulated Conventionally by at least one of a few very much characterized and prominent courses of medication organization Including oral, parentral, rectal, alveolar, and Ocular and topical. Among these previously mentioned mainstream courses, oral ordinary course of medication organization lies at the highest point of the progression of the customary routes. Now a day's a large portion of the pharmaceutical researchers are included in building up a perfect DDS. Researchers have prevailing to build up a framework that can be as close to a perfect framework and it urges the researchers to create controlled discharge framework. For this, due to the trouble in new medications, more accentuation has been given in growing new medication conveyance frameworks for existing medications and also new compound substances. In present venture in light of controlled and support discharge tranquilize conveyance framework, to learn about different attributes of measurement shape utilized as a part of managed discharge medicate conveyance framework have been advanced. Support discharge dose shape and their development as a medication conveyance.
Keywords: Introduction, Sustained drug delivery, techniques, application.
INTRODUCTION: For each infection or turmoil condition of the patient, legitimate medicine is of prime significance to keep up the patient healthy. To accomplish this, the medication or medication is directed Conventionally by at least one of a few all around characterized and well known courses of medication organization Including oral, parentral, rectal, alveolar, and Ocular and topical. Among these previously mentioned well known courses, oral customary course of medication organization lies at the highest point of the pecking order of the ordinary routes. 1-3
Now a day's a large portion of the pharmaceutical researchers are included in building up a perfect DDS. 4 Researchers have prevailing to build up a framework that can be as close to a perfect framework and it urges the researchers to create controlled discharge framework. Hence, most frame work utilized is of the managed discharge variety.
This perfect framework ought to have preferred standpoint of single measurement for entire length of the treatment and it ought to convey the medication specifically at particular site. 5 - 6 Delayed discharge tablets, otherwise called supported discharge tablets or augmented discharge tablets will be tablets defined in such a way as to make the contained dynamic fixing accessible over an expanded timeframe after ingestion. A maintained discharge (SR) tablet is ordinarily intended to discharge tranquilize more than 12-24 hrs and might contained in a prompt discharge tablet.7
The USP/NF by and by perceives a few sorts of altered discharge dose forms 1. Delayed discharged measurement frames (Ex: enteric covered tablets) Extended discharged dose shapes (Ex: managed discharged dose frames, Controlled discharge dose frames).
Sustain Release Dosage Form: A Sustained discharge measurements shape is characterized as "Any medication or dose frame alteration that delays the helpful action of the drug". This conveyance framework is progressively being utilized as a part of the treatment of intense and ceaseless ailments as they keep up the convergence of medication in plasma over the base compelling fixation to and underneath the base dangerous level for an augmented timeframe. 8
Maintained discharge, managed activity, delayed activity controlled discharge, augmented activity, coordinated discharge, station and storehouse measurement structures are terms used to recognize tranquilize conveyance framework that are intended to accomplish or drawn out remedial impact by consistently discharging pharmaceutical over a developed organization of a solitary dosage.9
Rationale of Developing SR Matrix DDSS:
- To amplify the length of activity of the medication.
- To limit the changes in plasma level.
- Enhanced medication use.
- To decrease the recurrence of dosing giving the uniform medication conveyance.
The essential justification for maintained medication conveyance is to modify the pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of pharmacological dynamic moieties by utilizing novel medication conveyance framework or by altering the atomic structure and physiological parameters inborn in the chose course of organization. 10
Advantage of Sustained Release Dosage Form:
- The recurrence of medication organization is lessened.
- Patient consistence can be moved forward.
- Drug organization can be made more helpful too. The blood level swaying normal for numerous dosing of ordinary dose structures is diminished. Better control of medication retention can be accomplished, since the high blood level pinnacles that might be seen after organization of a dosage of a high accessibility medication can be lessened.
- The trademark blood level varieties because of different dosing of traditional measurements structures can be diminished.
- The aggregate sum of medication regulated can be decreased.
- Safety edges of high power medications can be expanded and the occurrence of both nearby and systemic unfavorable reactions can be diminished in delicate patients.
- Improve productivity in treatment.
Disadvantages of Sustained Release Dosage Form:
- Probability of dose dumping.
- Reduced potential for dose adjustment.
- Cost of single unit higher than conventional dosage forms.
- Increase potential for first pass metabolism.
- Requirement for additional patient education for proper medication.
- Decreased systemic availability in comparison to immediate release of conventional dosage form.
- Poor in vitroand in vivo
Introduction for Oral Sustain Release Dosage Form: 11 - 12 The oral course of medication conveyance is regularly viewed as the favoured and most patient-advantageous methods for medication organization. With many medications the fundamental Goal of treatment is to accomplish a consistent state blood or tissue level that is restoratively successful and nontoxic for a developed timeframe.
Manage discharge framework are viewed as a smarter approach for the medications with short half-lives and which require rehashed dosing, they are anything but difficult to detail and are regardless of retention process from gastrointestinal tract after oral organization. The essential goal of these dose structures is to improve the conveyance of pharmaceuticals in order to accomplish a measure of control on restorative impact notwithstanding questionable vacillations in the in vivo condition in which sedate discharge happens. The advances in the detailing innovation of altered discharge dose shape with maintained discharge oral measurements frame has been broadly acknowledged approach when contrasted with traditional quick discharge plans of a similar medication, over which it gives a delay arrival of the medication over expanded timeframe there by giving the better patient consistence and upgraded bioavailability and coming about blood focus time profiles of medications that generally experience the ill effects of couple of confinements.13
Parameters for Drug to be formulated in Sustained Release Dosage Form:
Physicochemical Parameters for Drug Selection:
- Molecular weight/size < 1000 Daltons.
- Solubility > 0.1 mg/ml for pH 1 to pH 7.8.
- Apparent partition coefficient High.
- Absorption mechanism Diffusion.
- General absorbability from all GI segments.
- Release should not be influenced by pH and enzymes.14 - 15
Pharmacokinetic Parameters for Drug Selection: 16
- Elimination half-life preferably between 2 to 8 hrs.
- Total clearance should not be dose dependent.
- Elimination rate constant required for design.
- Apparent volume of distribution (Vd) The larger Vd and MEC, the larger will be the required dose size.
- Absolute bioavailability should be 75% or more.
- Intrinsic absorption rate must be greater than release rate.
- Therapeutic concentration Css the lower Css and smaller Vd, the loss among of drug required.
- Toxic concentration Apart the values of MTC and MEC, safer the dosage form. Also suitable for drugs with very short half-life.17-18
Factors Affecting the Oral Sustain Release Dosage Form Design:
A) Drug Properties Relevant to Sustain Release Formulation:
a) Aqueous Solubility and pKa: A medication to be consumed it must be disintegrated in the watery stage encompassing the site of organization and after that segment into the engrossing layer. Two of the most imperative physicochemical properties of a medication that impact its absorptive conduct are its watery solvency and on the off chance that it is a feeble corrosive or base its pKa. These properties pay a powerful part in the execution of controlled discharge frameworks. 19
The fluid dissolvability of a medication impacts its disintegration rate, which thus builds up its focus arrangement and henceforth the main thrust for dissemination crosswise over layer. 20 The disintegration rate is consistent just if surface zone "A" stay steady, however the imperative indicate note is that the underlying uncommon is straightforwardly relative to watery solvency Cs. In this manner, fluid dissolvability of a medication can be utilized as a first estimate of its dissolution rate. 21
Drugs with low fluid solvency have low disintegration rates and for the most part endure oral bioavailability issues. Plan of such a medication into a supported discharge framework may not give impressive advantages over customary measurement shapes. 22 Any endless supply of medication through a polymer as the rate - restricting stride in discharge would be inadmissible for an ineffectively dissolvable medication, since the main thrust for dispersion is the grouping of medication in the polymer or arrangement, and this focus would be low. 23
For a medication with high dissolvability and a fast disintegration rate, it is regularly very hard to reduction its disintegration rate to moderate its retention. 24 Setting up a somewhat dissolvable type of a medication with regularly high solvency is, in any case, one conceivable strategy for planning controlled discharge measurement shapes.
b) Partition Coefficient: Between time that a drug is administered and the time is eliminated from the body, it must diffuse through a variety of biological membranes that act primarily as lipid like barriers. A major criteria in evaluation of the ability of a drug to penetrate these lipid membranes is its apparent oil/water partition coefficient defined as
K = C0/CW ---------------------- (3)
Where; Co=Equilibrium concentration of all forms of the drug e.g. ionized and unionized in an organic phase at equilibrium.
Cw=Equilibrium concentration of all forms in aqueous phase.
In general, drugs with extremely large values of ‘K’ are very oil soluble and will partition into membrane quite readily. According to Haunch correlation, the logarithm of the activity of a drug or its ability to be absorbed and the logarithm of
Design of Oral Sustained Release Drug Delivery System: The oral route administration is mostly adopted route because of its comfortable dosage form, design and patient care. Several parameters should be kept in mind before formulating sustain release dosage form which includes various pH in GIT, the gastrointestinal motility, the enzyme system and its effect on the dosage form and the drug. Most of sustained release dosage form follows the mechanism of diffusion, dissolution or combination of both, to produce slow release of drug at predetermined rate. 25 - 26 Hypothetically, a sustained release dosage form should release the drug by a zero-order mechanism which maintains drug plasma level time similar to intravenous infusion.27-32 Plasma drug concentration-profiles for conventional tablet or capsule formulation, a sustained release formulation, and a zero order sustained release formulation are as follow in given Fig. 1.
FIG. 1: PLASMA DRUG CONCENTRATION PROFILE FOR CONVENTIONAL RELEASE, A SUSTAINED RELEASE AND ZERO ORDER CONTROLLED RELEASE FORMULATION
FIG. 2: COMPARISON OF CONVENTIONAL AND CONTROLLED RELEASE PROFILES
CONCLUSION: Because of the trouble in new medications, more accentuation has been given in growing new medication conveyance frameworks for existing medications and additionally new substance elements. In present venture in light of controlled and maintain discharge tranquilize conveyance framework, to learn about different attributes of measurements shape utilized as a part of managed discharge medicate conveyance framework have been advanced. Maintain discharge measurement shape and their rise as a medication conveyance framework and their preference over other medication conveyance framework have been talked about.
- Singhvi G and Singh M: In-vitro drug release characterization models. International journal of pharmaceutical studies and research. 2224-4619.
- Modi SA, Gaikward PD, Banker VH and Pawar SP: Sustained release drug delivery system-review. International journal of pharma research and development. 2011; 2(12): 016.
- Ratilal DA, Gaikward PD, Banker VH and Pawar SP: Review on sustained release technology. International journal of research and pharmaceutical science. 2011; 2(6): 1701-1708.
- Allen LV, Popovich NG and Ansel HC: Pharmaceutical dosage form and drug delivery. Eight edition; 263-268.
- Robinson RJ and Vincent HL: Controlled drug delivery and application. Second edition; 29: 56.
- Mamidala RK, Ramana V, Sandeep G, Lingam M, Gannu R and Yamsani MR: Factors Influencing the design and performance of oral sustained/controlled release dosage form. International journal of pharmaceutical science and nanotechnology 2009; 2(3): 583-594.
- Bankar AU, Bankar VH, Gaikward PD and Pawar SP: A Review on sustained release drug delivery system. International journal of research and pharmaceutical science. 2011; 2049-2063.
- Wise DL: Handbook of pharmaceutical controlled release technology. 435-436.
- Lieberman HA, Lachman L and Kanic JL: The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy. Third edition. 450.
- Jain NK: Controlled and Novel drug delivery systems. First edition. CBS publisher and distributors 2002: 79-87.
- Mamidala RK, Ramana V, Sandeep G, Lingam M, Gannu R and Yamsani MR: Factors influencing the design and performance of oral sustained/controlled release dosage form. International journal of pharmaceutical science and nanotechnology 2009; 2(3): 583-594.
- Remington AR: The science and practice of pharmacy.20thedition 2002; 903-929.
- Robinson JR, Vincent H and Lee L: Controlled drug delivery fundamentals and application. Marcel Dekker Inc 2002; 3-61.
- Swarkbrick J and Boylan JC: Encyclopedia of pharmaceutical Technology 2007; 369.
- Higuchi T: Mechanism of rate of sustained action medication. Journal of pharmaceutical science. 1963; 52: 1145-1149.
- Singh BN and Kwon KH: Drug delivery oral route. Encyclopedia of pharmaceutical technology. 2007; 1; 1242-1261.
- Venkataraman Daar SN, Chester A and Kliener L: An overview of controlled release system. Marcel dekker Inc. 2000; 1-30.
- Wagner JG: Biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics. Org intelligence publisher: 148-157.
- Cavillo D, Mullol J, Bartaj, Davila, Jauregui, Montoro J, Sastre J and Valero AL: Camparative pharmacology of H1 antihistamine. Journal investigation allergen of clinical immunology. 2006; 16: 3-12.
- Arc MP, JulieHR and Burnier M: Tasosartan, Enoltasosartanad Angioreceptor Blockade. The confounding role of protein Binding. The journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 2005; 295(2): 649-653.
- Garg S and Sharma S: Gastroretentive drug delivery system. Pharmatech 2003; 160.
- Davis S: Formulation strategies for absorption window. Drug discovery today Birkett DJ. Pharmacokinetic made easy. Australia prescriber 1988; 11(3): 57-59.
- Bentely: Text Book of pharmaceutics. 8th edition: 60-61.
- Shailesh S, Mahatma OP, Upadhyat N, Bishnoi H and Savita S: A Review on Formulation, development and evaluation of a misulphide once daily tablet. 2011; 3(7): 32-36.
- Raymond C, Rowe and Sheskey PJ: Hand Book of Pharmaceutical excipient.
- Narasimharao R, Anusha RM, Sweta RN, Divyasagar P and Keerthana K: Design and Evaluation of Metformine HCL extended Release tablets by direct compression. 2011; 2(3).
- Prabhu SL, Shirwaikar AA, Shirwaikar A, Ravikumar G, kumar A and Jacob A: Formulation and Evaluation of oral sustained release of diltiazem hydrochloride using Rosin as a matrix forming material. ARS Pharmaceutical 2009; 50(1): 32-42.
- Hasanuzzaman Md, Begum AA, Islam M, Wahed TB, Anisuzzaman S Md and Kundu SK: Formulation, evaluation and optimization of sustained release tablet of indapamide using hydrophilic matrix system. International journal of pharmatech research. 2011; 3(3): 1831-1836.
- Altaf AS, Friend DR, Rathbone MJ, Hadgraft J, Robert MS, MASRx and COSRx : Sustained-Release Technology in Modified Release Drug Delivery Technology, Marcell Dekker Inc., New York, 2003.
- Gwen MJ and Joseph RR: In Banker GS and Rhodes CT, Eds., Modern Pharmaceutics, 3rd Edn, Vol. 72, Marcel Dekker Inc. New York, 1996, 575.
- Salsa T, Veiga F and Pina M.E, Drug Develop. Ind. Pharm., 1997; 23: 931.
- Jantez GM and Robinson JR: Sustained and Controlled release drug delivery systems. In: Banker GS, Rhodes CT, editors. Modern pharmaceutics. 3rd edition. New York: Marcel Dekker inc. 1996.
How to cite this article:
Sharma S: A review on sustain release and control release drug delivery system. Int J Life Sci Rev. 2017; 3(4): 45-49. doi: 10.13040/ IJPSR. 0975-8232.IJLSR.3(4).45-49.
All © 2015 are reserved by International Journal of Life Sciences and Review. This Journal licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.